Thursday, 22 June 2017

Coconut Flour & Coconut Blossom Syrup Fudge (vegan)

Last month I mentioned that I have a thing for fudge at the moment.  I have made vegetarian fudgevegan fudge and even raw fudge.  Well here are some more that I have dubbed as Quadruple Coconut Fudge as its made with coconut flour, coconut blossom syrup, coconut oil and dessicated coconut. 
For a long while, I have been dilly dallying what to do with my stash of coconut flour...  By the way, Is coconut flour the same as coconut milk powder????? I cannot seem to get a definitive answer on this question on any of the website, or maybe I am just not cooking in the right places. Anyway, this recipe for Coconut Flour Fudge is much of an on-going experiment with coconut flour being treated a little like milk powder for Indian style Burfi's
This Coconut Flour and coconut Blossom Syrup Fudge is good for up to 3 weeks as long as its kept in the fridge. I preferred this a few days later when the texture changed.  It firmed up even further and became more fudge like. It also crumbled like sugary icing fudge too, but I must warn you this is not sugary sweet, it has a subtle sweetness. 


Coconut Blossom Syrup is amber rich nectar extracted from the coconut tree flower 
If you do not have , replace with maple syrup or agave syrup.  As a member of Suma Bloggers Network, I receive a selection of complimentary products every two months to use in recipe development and blog original recipes for the Network. 
Other Coconut Flour recipes 
Coconut Ladoos (vegan)
Violet Coconut Bars (vegan)

I am sharing some of these Coconut Flour and Coconut Blossom Syrup Fudge bites with Treat Petite hosted by The Baking Explorer and CakeyBoi.; and CookBlog Share; hosted by Everyday Healthy Recipes Hijacked By TwinsEasy Peasy Foodie and Recipes Made Easy.
Coconut Blossom Syrup and Coconut Flour 
Makes 16 or more depending on size cut
Ingredients
140g nut butter (like almond butter or cashew nut butter)
80g coconut oil
4 tablespoons coconut blossom syrup or other sweetener
6 tablespoons coconut flour
2 tablespoons dessicated coconut
Method
In a pan, add the nut butter, coconut oil and coconut blossom syrup and gently heat up until well combined, then stir in the coconut flour and dessicated coconut until well incorporated.
Transfer to a sandwich sized plastic container measuring
Refrigerate for a few hours or overnight, before turning out and cutting into squares. 
This has been good in my fridge for up to 3 weeks, but I bet it won't last that long in yours. 

20 comments:

  1. Hi Shaheen, I make my own coconut flour by grinding desiccated coconut using my good old coffee grinder. I have never tasted a proper coconut flour so I don't know the different but my method works pretty well . I would love to try your fudge though xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura, thats good to know.

      Delete
  2. You are indeed on a fudge streak! What a great selection of variations you are working through and I love how coconutty this is, in so many ways. Subtle sweet is good too as so many fudge recipes are super sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly am Kari, hoping to make more and maybe mess with this recipe a little more this time with another flavouring.

      Delete
  3. You're making me hungry with all these fudge recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susie, hope you get to try some of the vegan versions.

      Delete
  4. I'm sitting at the hairdressers, I really wish I had some fudge! Looks delish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so funny Belinda, i have done that too - but mostly when I am at the dentist - not good for teeth :) but this one is okay not so sugary - but damage to my teeth already done :(

      Delete
  5. I've never made my own fudge and I am surprised it's so easy to make. Your recipe sounds really delicious! Thank you for bringing it to #CookBlogShare:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monika, this is not an authentic recipe but one I have devised and played around with. Real fudge is made with condensed milk and has to be made on the hob and does take a longer while. Glad you like this vegan version though.

      Delete
  6. coconut blossom syrup is new to me - and am sure that I would enjoy it. I don't think coconut flour and coconut milk powder are the same because if you add water to coconut flour surely you don't get coconut milk. But that is just my opinion rather than any expertise I have. Anyway I am sure your fudge would be delicious and a great way to use up coconut flour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The coconut blossom syrup made a change from honey, maple and agave syrup - its much deeper than agave and maple, but then I guess there are many grades of each. I agree with you about the difference about coconut flour and coconut milk powder, but wondered what made them different in the processing is is coconut milk powder made from the actual liquid in it or with the coconut part that you scrape out of the shell. Just want to understand a bit more...I am hoping to make more coconut fudge and some for my Dad. He is diabetic and I think he would enjoy these, he loves his South Asian sweets.

      Delete
  7. coconut blossom syrup is new to me and I've not tackled fudge beyond the standard chocolate with nuts. Some new ideas here. Thanks and hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its new to me too, first time I used it and it was interesting, though I don't think I would necessarily seek it out again, unless of course i have to use it in a specific recipe. I need to try more traditional fudge recipes made with condensed milk.

      Delete
  8. Snap I love fudge too Shaheen! And most definitely homemade fudge too! I love the sound of your quadruple coconut fudge - I bet it tastes amazing! #CookBlogShare
    Angela x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela.
      Its def. healthy than the sugar condensed version.

      Delete
  9. I am a huge coconut fan so I love this fudge recipe! Id didn't know you could put flour in fudge so I've learnt something new too! Thanks for linking up to #TreatPetite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kat, traditional fudge would never use flour, this is a vegan version and experimental on my part, so in no way authentic. Glad you like it though :)

      Delete
  10. I need to make some vegan fudge - I can't think of the last time I attempted to make it at home, and I'm always seeking new things to do with my coconut flour at home (I have a bag that seems to have lasted for years!) I think coconut flour and milk powder are different - I think one is defatted or something like that? Couldn't swear to it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joey, do you have a good vegan fudge recipe to share with me, or a link to one. I have tried vegan fudge at other places, and mine does not taste like those a little on the icing sugar sweetness. So would appreciate some insight. Thanks re difference, i think you are right re difference in flour and powder.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You